Date extended to win $1,000 for your Community Group, Business or School
RDA Peel is constructing a web site that will:
- Become a central site for all digital initiatives being undertaken in the Peel – one place community and businesses can visit to identify opportunities for their digital future
- Promote Australian Government Program to Businesses and Organisations in the Peel region
- Become a repository for digital resources about local heritage and community stories of the Peel region
- Highlight and celebrate digital innovation in the Peel region
To win $1,000 submit a short (up to 3 minutes duration) digital video using your smart phone, tablet, or digital camera in any of the 5 categories below:
FOR COMMUNITY GROUPS, CLUBS, ASSOCIATIONS (Incorporated or Unincorporated) BASED IN THE PEEL REGION – Best Community Story (Prize $1,000): Highlighting the unique identity and lifestyle of your location OR the valuable activities your group performs in your community. – Best Heritage Story (Prize $1,000): Highlighting a unique and interesting historical event in your location.
FOR BUSINESSES BASED IN THE PEEL REGION (Must hold a current ABN) – Best Innovation Story (Prize $1,000): Highlighting an instance where your local business has innovated, the nature of that innovation and the benefits you derived. – Best digital technology take up story (Prize $1,000): Highlighting an instance where your local business has taken up digital technologies and the benefits you derived.
FOR SCHOOLS IN THE PEEL REGION – Best Community, Heritage or Innovation Story (Prize $1,000): As per the categories above.
All digital media must be submitted to email@example.com by 5pm 14 May, 2013. The winners will be announced on 20 May, 2013.
By submitting an entry to this competition you attest that you are the owner of all intellectual property related to the entry and you grant RDA Peel Inc. the exclusive right to publish the material provided in the entry, including the name of the entrant, in any and all printed and digital publications of RDA Peel Inc.
Grant & Award Opportunities
Caring for our Country Program – Australian Government
This year the Australian Government will provide up to $5 million in Community Environment Grants to support local community groups to protect and improve their natural environment. Groups can apply for a grant anywhere between $5 000 and $50 000 (GST exclusive) in value to contribute to the sustainable management of Australia’s environment.
The Sustainable Environment stream of the Caring for our Country program will prioritise investment under the following three strategic objectives:
- Maintenance of ecosystem services, including ecological and cultural values, now and into the future
- Protection of our conservation estate
- Enhanced capacity of Indigenous communities to conserve and protect natural resources
Funding through the Community Environment Grants will assist community based organisations to contribute to these strategic objectives.
Grants are currently open and close on midnight (12am AEST) Wednesday, 8 May 2013.
More information and to apply online CLICK HERE or contact the Caring for our Country hotline on 1800 552 008.
Junior Landcare Team Award – Landcare Australia Junior Landcarers across the country are being encouraged to submit a nomination for the Junior Landcare Team Award in the 2013 State & Territory Landcare Awards.
The Junior Landcare Team Award category will recognise an outstanding youth organisation or young Landcare team that contributes to raising awareness, knowledge and understanding of Landcare amongst young people up to the age of 18.
The Peel Region’s North Dandalup Primary School was last year’s Westpac Education Award winners.
More information CLICK HERE.
Ian Potter Foundation Applications are open for the Ian Potter Foundation’s second round of funding, with nine grants to be made across a broad range of sectors and endeavors.
Not-for-profit organisations that have deductible gift recipient and tax concession charity status are eligible to apply for funding. Grant applications can be made for activities, projects or programs in the following areas:
- Community and wellbeing
- Environment and conservation
- Health and disability
- Medical research
Successful applicants will be notified approximately three months after the funding round closing date which is 28 May 2013.
More information CLICK HERE.
Community Notice Board
National Volunteer Week As part of National Volunteer week from May 13-19, Australians are being urged to say ‘thanks a million’ to volunteers who give up their time to help.
Volunteering Australia has urged Australians to say ‘thanks’ through social media, events or letters of support.
The most recent figures from the Australian Bureau of Statistics show roughly 6 million Australians give their time and services annually.
CLICK HERE to find out more about National Volunteer Week.
HEYWIRE Competition – Australian Broadcasting Corporation Heywire is young regional Australians telling it like it is. Young people aged 16 – 22 are asked to submit a story about life in Australia outside the major cities before Monday, September 17th.
Your story can be created in any form of media: text, video, photography or audio, and if you are selected as a winner (roughly 40) your story will be featured on ABC Local Radio, ABC Radio National, ABC TV and abc.net.au. You’ll also score an all-expenses-paid trip to the Heywire Regional Youth Summit in Canberra in February 2014. The Heywire Summit is a chance for the participants to develop outstanding ideas and proposals that will create change in their local communities.
To find out more information CLICK HERE.
Current Successful Peel Grant Recipients
Lotterywest – State Government For the month of March 2013, Lotterywest granted over $14 million worth of grants including:
- Joint Masonic Lodge Committee – $6,952 towards a sound system for the Furnissdale Masonic Centre enhancing the community activities for the many groups accessing this facility in Mandurah.
- Murray Districts Aboriginal Assoc Inc – $15,000 towards costs to support the free elements of the 2013 Mungah Festival which will provide activities and performances celebrating Nyungar culture in the Peel Region.
- Mardella Ladies Club Inc – $7,766 towards property improvements to the Mardella Hall which is used regularly by the Mundijong community.
- Murray House Resource Centre Inc – $17,500 towards computers to improve access to information technology for the Pinjarra community.
- Yarloop Workshop Inc – $80,000 towards a small truck and loader to assist with management of activities at the Yarloop Timber Industry Museum.
- Wanslea Family Services Inc – $1,273,807 towards property improvements and equipment to support the wellbeing of children, families and carers in the Mandurah and Peel Region.
- Peel Preservation Group – $5,029 towards equipment to support the water testing and monitoring activities of the Peel Preservation Group.
- St Ives Mandurah Residents’ Assoc Inc – $13,068 towards equipment to support the recreational activities of the senior residents at St Ives Retirement Village in Mandurah.
- Concord Caravanners of WA Inc – $5,973 for equipment, furniture and IT to enhance recreation and social opportunities for caravanners and campers in the Mandurah area.
- Yarloop Community Resource Centre Inc – $7,828 towards a community garden for residents of Yarloop that will provide opportunities for participation in social activities and encourage healthy lifestyles.
- Peel Harvey Catchment Council – $152,259 towards project costs to implement aspects of the Peel-Yalgorup Ramsar Management Plan.
Count me in Awards 2012 – Disability Services Commission (WA)
- Career Enterprise Centre in Mandurah – ‘Award for Primary & Secondary School ~ Highly Commended’ for the variety of courses they offer that provides students with disability learner-centred programs.
Healthways Healthy Club Sponsorship Winter 2013 – Healthways & Sports Medicine Aust (WA Branch) The following incorporated Peel Region sporting clubs were successful with their application for funding of up to $3,000:
- South Mandurah Football Club Inc
- Mandurah Ultimate Inc
- Pinjarra Hockey Club
- Centrals Football and Sportsman’s Club
- Midcity Hockey Club Inc